.

Monday, May 08, 2006

The Shawshank Redemption



This weekend, I watched 'The Shawshank Redemption'. It was not the first time I am seeing this classic.. I do not even remember the number of times, I have been through this incredible film, but this one is one of those movies, that gets better every time I watch it again... The plot is the story of a brilliant banker Andy Dufresne, wrongly convicted to serve two consecutive life sentences at Shawshank Prison.

The backbone of the movie, apart from the storyline, are the dialogues. Here are some of my favourites:
- Andy: On the outside I was a man straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to become crooked.
- Red: When they put u inside the cell and those bars slam home that is when u know it is for real. Old life gone in a blink on an eye . Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it.
- Red: Andy Dufresne, he crawled thru 2 miles of shit and came out clean on the other side
- Warden: Praise the lord, your ass is mine. Welcome to Shawshank.
- Red : These walls are funny, first u hate them , then u get used to them and as time goes by u get dependent on them

Best of the lot:
- Red: I hope to cross the border. I hope to see my friend. I hope the pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope....
- Red: Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and good things never die.

5 comments:

Avann said...

One of those movies which make you go heavy hearted everytime you watch it... As Dale Carnegie once said "Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." This epitomizes the movie...

WhO ElsE said...

@Avann: Totally with u on that.. Its much more than a movie.. Its an experience, in itself!!!

Meera said...

i also like the part when red says they send u here for life and that is exactly what they take away from you.. red definition of 'institutionalized'. There are so many great pieces in this movie.. when andy plays the music and says there is a part which they cant touch.. This is simply the best i've watched!! :D

WhO ElsE said...

@Me: Yes, there are various moments right through the film that makes us feel a part of it. Somehow, I can relate to our very own Anbe Sivam, where the main protagonist is able to accomplish what he wants without the routine heroism, that we tend to associate with heroes!!!

Meera said...

yes.. u shd read my post abt anbe sivam.. it influences u in such a way that cannot be fully expressed but only felt.